Torbreck is a company-titled multi-storeyed home unit development and a prominent landmark visible from many places in Brisbane. It was designed by Brisbane architects AH Job and RP Froud and comprises two stages; a low rise Garden Block to Chermside Street and a high rise Tower Block to Dornoch Terrace.
Torbreck was erected in 1958-1960 by NA Kratzmann Pty Ltd, one of the largest building contractors in Queensland by the late 1950s. The eight-storeyed garden block was constructed using the lift-slab technique, whereby the roof and floors were prefabricated on the ground, then hoisted into position by jacks mounted on the vertical wall supports. This construction technique had not been used in Queensland before. The fourteen-storeyed tower block was erected along more conventional lines.
Further information can be accessed from the PDFs below:
- The Queensland Heritage Register (Place ID 601256)
- Torbreck advertisement — Fryer Library UQFL426 Torbreck Collection
- Torbreck brochure: Floor plans
- Torbreck Brochure — Fryer Library UQFL426 Torbreck Collection
- Architectural Review Australia Life Cycle: – Torbreck — Andrew Wilson, 2011
- 'Close watch on high-rises' — Sunday Mail article, 2007
- Torbreck Case Study: Centre for Subtropical Design — Charmaine Kai, 2005
- Architecture Australia Radarhistory: 'Homes in the sky'
- Queensland Heritage Strategy: A ten-year plan
- Nationally significant 20th century architecture
- (07) 3844 2167
- (07) 3844 4778
- 182 Dornoch Terrace, Highgate Hill QLD 4101
- Office hours:
- 8:00 am – 4:00 pm (Monday – Friday)
Units for sale, lease or rent
These agents regularly sell, lease and rent units at Torbreck.
- Agent name:
- Luke Croft
- Company name:
- Ray White South Brisbane
- 0411 847 001